2. Unfortunately Mr. Wang’s mother ___ two years ago.
3.A report has pointed out the ____ of the present system.
4.I won’t know how successful it is until an accountant has ___ the books.
C．gone back on
5. ____ it resembles a traditional village of two-storeyed houses, set among well-tended gardens.
A．At first sight
B．At no time
6. They were having to _____ the fact they had lost everything.
D．face up to
7. The club members did agree to ___ their present recruitment policy in order to boost the membership.
8. In every one of her pictures she ____ a sense of immediacy.
9. It ____ to me that I could have the book sent to me.
10. Nowadays you can see lots of unemployed people _____ the streets.
D．hanging up to
11. She was too ____ and distressed to talk about the tragedy.
12. As far as I know women officers ____ 15 per cent of the police force in our district.
A．make up for
13. The 25-year-old man was accused of robbing a bank ____ one million pounds.
14. All of us will ____ you whatever happens.
A．stand in for
B．stand up to
C．stand back from
15. Pour some water on his face and he’ll soon ___.
16. The dictionary ____ a workaholic as a person obsessively addicted to work.
17. He seemed to take it ___ granted that he should speak as a representative of the workers here.
18. All full-time staff can get a 20 percent _____ on goods up to ＄100 each year.
19. He was trying to decide whether the question was some sort of a _____.
20. The dean of the department said that these proposals would have to be _____.